Who Do You Run To?

I’m from the country and I like it that way. For a long time I’ve enjoyed listening to country music, switching the station only to avoid the occasional raunchy song.

But for the last several months, my son in his car seat has been comprehending a little too much and asking some awkward questions. When Carrie Underwood is singing about taking out her rage at her unfaithful husband on the unsuspecting tires of his car, and my son innocently queries from the back, “What’s this song about?”, it can be a little difficult to explain. So I haven’t listened to much country music lately. Steve Green’s “Hide ’Em in Your Heart” has won out for this young mommy.

At the same time, I’ve been thinking more about a Biblical perspective toward marriage, and on the rare occasions that I’m alone in the car and do turn on country music, something strange happens. I simply don’t like a lot of the songs anymore.

Now, I’m not trying to be legalistic here. There’s a lot to love about country music. I want to live “where the green grass grows” and I live for “little moments like that,” and “Fly Over States” always gets me wanting to take a car trip back to Colorado where I grew up. But a lot of the country love songs in particular just aren’t doing it for me anymore. Here’s a common theme:

This world keeps spinning faster
 
To a new disaster
So I run to you …
 
– Lady Antebellum, “I Run to You”

What happens when your world feels like a disaster and you run to your husband?


Read the rest over here on Warrior Wives today.

Comments

Popular Posts