The Vitamix Gets Hot: Roux, Lemon Curd, & Chocolate Pudding


Today I’m taking a break to write about cooking. I love to cook, and I share recipes on my blog for, I’ll admit, two reasons. One is that I hope some of you make them and like them. Another is that especially for a recipe that I’ve adapted, storing it on my blog means that I’ll be able to find it in the future. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked up my HealthySummer Pies link.

As the weather gets colder, I’m experimenting with warm recipes in the Vitamix. Did you know that the Vitamix can get your food so hot that you have to open the lid carefully away from you so that you don’t get a steam burn? We’re talking serious cooking here. Essentially, anything smooth that you normally make over the stove (probably with lots of whisking) can be made in the Vitamix with a push of a button.

All the three recipes I’m about to share say to “press the hot soup button.” If your version of the Vitamix doesn’t have this button, start at low speed and then increase to high. Keep it running on high without stopping until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes. Keep the lid on so that steam can’t escape and the food can get to the proper temperature to cook.

I’m not trying to sell the Vitamix here. I don’t sell anything. The Vitamix is expensive (though Ben got ours on sale and refurbished). If you love to cook healthy and easy, you’ll probably love it and end up using it a lot. Otherwise, it’s probably not for you.

White Sauce (Roux)

¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
¼ tsp salt
2 cups milk

Place four ingredients (in that order) in the Vitamix. Press the hot soup button.

That is it. I grew up making white sauce in the microwave, removing and stirring every couple minutes. As an adult, I learned to make it over the stove. And I could make a pretty good one, but only with some serious whisk action to keep it completely smooth. I still can’t quite get over how easy this recipe is. A white sauce can be the basis for multiple recipes—maybe the easiest one is to stir in cheese and use as a pasta sauce.


Lemon Curd

1 whole large lemon
4 egg yolks
1 stick butter
1½ cups sugar

Cut the lemon in half and remove any seeds. You can either keep the entire peel, or remove part of it. I think keeping the entire peel is a bit heavy in the lemon zest department—I would remove a third or half the peel.

Place all ingredients in Vitamix and blend on high until mixed, using the Vitamix tamper. Stop and use the spatula to scrape down the sides. Then, place lid on and blend using hot soup button; stop when thick and cooked.

I’d love to see this recipe adapted to use less sugar. I’ve only made it once and was hesitant to be too adventurous my first time, but I think that stevia could probably replace some of the sugar.

Chocolate Pudding

2 cups milk
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup sugar
5 tbsp flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup chocolate chips (or sweetened chocolate piece of comparable size)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter

Place milk, salt, and sugar into Vitamix and press hot soup button. (Have it continue mixing as you add the other ingredients.) About 2 minutes in, add flour, unsweetened cocoa, and chocolate chips; then replace lid. Wait another minute, then crack in egg and replace lid. When the pudding is thick, add vanilla and butter, mix briefly, then stop. Pour into dishes, chill, and serve alone or with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.


Do you own a Vitamix and do you use it for any hot recipes? I’d love to hear your ideas!  

Comments

Popular Posts